UNITED NATIONS EDUCATIONAL, SCIENTIFIC AND CULTURAL ORGANIZATION (UNESCO) – HEADQUARTERS, Paris
Internship in the Section on Earth Sciences and Geo-Hazards Risk Reduction
UNESCO is the only United Nations Organization with a mandate in the geosciences with the International Geoscience and Geoparks Programme (IGGP) and in particular its International Geoscience Programme (IGCP), which is designed to support research and capacity building in the geosciences.
IGCP Council and International Union of Geological Sciences agreed the design and launch of a new International Geoscience Programme field training exchange project. UNESCO Natural Sciences sector and specifically the Earth Sciences and Geo-Hazards Risk Reduction Section is looking for an intern to join them for the initiation of this new project.
The candidate will be expected to contribute to the implementation of the Section’s projects and programmes in the field of research and capacity building in the geosciences in collaboration with the International institutions providing geoscience education and research.
• Support the data collection process to identify global geoscience field training programmes offered by International institutions;
• Disseminate/communicate new international geoscience field workshop exchange project of IGCP with UNESCO Member States and stakeholders;
• Support the activities to obtain bilateral agreements with hosting Earth science education institutions that will host selected international fieldwork participants;
• Develop and disseminate the list of global geoscience fieldwork programmes providing institutions via IGCP website;
• Promote new field training exchange programme;
• Assist in drafting project reports, brochures and training materials for the activities implemented by the Section; • Provide support to colleagues in the Section to ensure proper delivery of outputs;
• Get acquainted with the work of UNESCO and perform other related Section’s duties as required.
• Currently enrolled or having recently completed a Postgraduate Degree or equivalent in geology, geophysics and natural sciences, or other related fields;
• Previous work experience in the field of geosciences communication;
• Data management is required;
• Project management methodology and GIS knowledge will be an asset;
• Fluency in English (both oral and written) is required; knowledge of the other working language of UNESCO’s headquarters (French) is desirable. Period Up to six months.
Starting date: to be agreed upon (as soon as possible).
Working Section Earth Sciences and Geo-Hazards Risk Reduction Section, Natural Sciences Sector, UNESCO, Paris (France).
Remuneration Kindly note that internships at UNESCO are unpaid.
How to apply To apply, please send your CV and a brief cover letter in English to Ms Ozlem Adiyaman (email@example.com) and Ms Marie-Laure Faber (firstname.lastname@example.org).